Pilates exercises are extremely effective in helping you attain a flat stomach. It focuses on strengthening the core muscles which support the spine. These include the abdominal back, hip and leg muscles. The Pilates workout therefore focuses on toning and strengthening the abdominal muscles. Practiced regularly and in the right manner, Pilates can flatten the stomach significantly.
How Does Pilates Help in Getting a Flat Stomach?
The objective of Pilates is not merely strengthening the abdominal muscles. It aims at developing strong muscles that are long and lean, so that you get a slender look, which is what you want. This is achieved by pulling the muscles in during the workout. With other exercises, the abdominal muscles may get shorter and bunched up. They become strong, no doubt, but you don’t get the lean look.
Pilates Exercises for a Flat Stomach
- The Roll Up
- Lie flat on the floor with your spine and lower back literally sinking into the floor. Keep your hands stretched behind your head on the floor
Top to bottom – steps i to iii
- Exhale and slowly move your arms towards the ceiling, keeping your back and spine on the floor. Inhale.
- Exhale and slowly roll up your body from the floor, at the same time moving your hands further towards your feet, and reach over the feet. While rolling up, keep your chin tucked into your chest.
Note in step iii, the chin is tucked into the chest
Then you roll back down to complete one repetition. Start with 5 repetitions. Make sure you are keeping your abdominal muscles taut so that they lengthen during the process.
- The Toe Dip
- Lie on the floor and bring your knees into the chest and flex your feet.
Pilates toe dip
- Place your hands (palm down) by your side and slowly extend your left leg downward. Stretch the leg right from hip, keeping your knees straight all the way down till your toe dips to the bottom. Don’t let the toe touch the floor and at that point, bend the knee and pull up the leg.
- Repeat with the right leg. Start with eight repetitions for each side.
Keep the abdomen tight. The act of extending the leg right from the hip to the point of the toe dip builds really long abdominal muscles that flatten the stomach and give a lean look.
- The Front Plank
A very effective move that works your abs as well as the shoulders, back and glutes.
- Lie down straight on your stomach.
- Lift your body off in a straight plank, supporting the body weight on your elbows and toes.
The ideal plank position- body in a straight line
- Keep your body in a straight line and pull in your abdomen muscles. Hold the position for as long as you can.
These are just some of the Pilates exercises that are beneficial for a flat stomach. Others include leg circles (single and double), leg stretches (single and double) etc. In any Pilates flat stomach exercise, the focus is on keeping the abdominal muscles tight so that they strengthen and lengthen.
Another point worth remembering in Pilates flat stomach exercises is that repetitions are not as important as doing the exercise in the right manner.
So are you ready to get flat stomach and a strong core? What are you waiting for? Conquer your flab and lose the fat, the Pilates way.